Vittoriosa, in Maltese "Birgu", is an old fortified city on the south side of the Grand Harbour in the South Eastern Region of Malta. The city is set on a peninsula with Fort St. Angelo at the tip. Prior to the establishment of Valletta as capital and main city of Malta, military powers that wanted to rule the Maltese islands would need to obtain control of Birgu due to its significant position in the Grand Harbour. In fact, it served as the base of the Order of Saint John and de facto capital city of Malta from 1530 to 1571. Vittoriosa is well known for its vital role in the Great Siege of Malta of 1565.